Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Finding My Way - Nora Berson




We just had our Border Studies Symposium, an event to wrap up the semester, and give thanks to the people that made it possible. I remember being told about this event during orientation, and it seeming impossibly far in the future. Now it's over, and I have to come to terms with the semester being almost finished. I am excited to return home, but it is also difficult to think about leaving Tucson. It felt really good to see our teachers, host families, field study coordinators and various community members joined together, and have the chance to express our gratitude to them. The symposium took place in the same room as the potluck where we had met our host families for the first time, but the emotions were different. I remember feeling nervous before meeting my host family. Although some of us felt nervous today also, I felt more at ease that that first meeting, and filled with warm appreciation. I was happy to be looking out at smiling faces, and listening to my classmates share their heartfelt stories of inspiration, learning and thanks. I will share with you my piece of the symposium. I read it in Spanish, but I've also included the English version here.

Cuando salí del aeropuerto en Tucson, todo me pareció extraño. El aire de enero estaba caliente, el sol estaba deslumbrante, y el estacionamiento estuvo lleno de saguaros. Cuando nos estaba manejando desde el aeropuerto, Jeff nos informó que pudiéramos navegar con la ayuda de las montañas—las montañas de Tucson al oeste, las Catalinas al norte, los Rincones al este, y las Santa Ritas al sur. Recuerdo que sentía nerviosa. Tengo un sentido de dirección muy mal. ¿Cómo pudiera encontrar todo, navegando entra la casa, la escuela, el trabajo? Tenía miedo que me iba a perder. Y sí me perdí. Pero no estaba sola. Mis profesores, mi familia, mis supervisores del trabajo y gente que no conocía no me abandonaron en una ciudad desconocida. Me dibujaron mapas, me dieron direcciones detalladas, y incluso me llevaron a la estación de buses cuando me perdí. Y Flor me dijo muchas veces “Si necesitas cualquier cosa, llámame. No te preocupes.” Aunque puedo recordar unos momentos preocupados por la noche en partes desconocidos de la cuidad, sé que nunca estaba realmente sola. Por la generosidad de la gente acá en ayudándome a orientarme, y también mostrándome lo mejor que Tucson ofrece, estoy muy agradecida. Cuando regreso al lugar de donde soy, espero que puedo seguir su ejemplo de hospitalidad y amabilidad a la gente que están nuevo en mi comunidad. Voy a darles bienvenidos, aunque no puedo dar muy buenas direcciones.

When I stepped out of the airport in Tucson, everything felt foreign. The January air was hot, the sun blindingly bright, and the parking lot filled with saguaro cactus. As he drove us from the airport, Jeff pointed out how we could navigate by the mountains—the Tucson mountains to the west, Catalina mountains to the north and Rincon mountains to the east. I remember feeling nervous. I have a terrible sense of direction. How would I find my way around, between my home, class, and field study? I was afraid I would get lost. And I did. But I was not alone. My teachers, host family, field study supervisors and strangers did not abandon me in an unfamiliar city. They drew me maps, gave me detailed directions for the best bike routes, even accompanied me to the bus station when I got myself horribly turned around. And Flor told me time and again, “Si necesitas cualquier cosa, llámame. No te preocupes.” Even though I can remember a few worried moments in the dark in unfamiliar parts of town, I know I was never really alone. The generosity of people here in helping me find my way, as well as showing me the best of what Tucson has to offer, leaves me very grateful. When I return home, I hope to follow their example of hospitality and helpfulness to those who are new in my community, and give them my welcome, even if I can't give very good directions.

No comments:

Post a Comment